Sunday, January 13, 2008

She's one tough cookie!


I remember when Meg was about 2 years-old. In the middle of the night I heard her cough and then call in a soft little voice "Momma". I slowly got up and headed to her room where she was sitting up in bed and she pointed to her pillow and said, "I spit". It was dark in the room so I turned on a night light to find that she had thrown-up all over her bed. I was amazed because I had no clue she was even sick, she was just her happy self. I changed her bedding and she smiled at me as I said goodnight and tucked her in. I remember thinking she can't be related to me... she is too tough (you don't want to see me with the stomach flu... it's pathetic!) . The night continued like that, a cough, a "momma", and a smile as I tucked her back in.
About a year later Hallie and Megan were playing in our neighbors backyard during a family party. They were holding hands and running around chasing some of the other kids. They were running very fast and Hallie made a sharp turn and swung Megan around. Hallie didn't see the tree (it was late evening) and pulled Megan right into it. I still remember the sound when Megan's little head hit the tree. It was the sound of someone dropping a big boulder on a wood floor. There was a gasp and then silence from the group of adults as I ran over to Megan in a panic- fully expecting blood and a trip to the ER. She was just laying there a little dazed and whimpering slightly. Hallie looked down at her and immediately broke into hysterics. Megan cried for 5 minutes and then was up playing again... Hallie cried for the next hour and a half. I remember waking Megan up every few hours that night to make sure she didn't have a concussion.
Megan had a cold this week. She had a runny nose and cough and was just uncomfortable for most the week. Two days ago she told me that her ear hurt so I gave her some Tylenol and a hot pad for her ear and made a mental note to have Trev look at it when he got home. Well, she didn't say much about it again so we forgot about it. Yesterday I noticed her whimper and put her hand on her ear so I asked Trev just to check it and make sure it wasn't infected. He checked the "good ear" (not the one she had complained about) first to find the ear drum bulging and infected then he went to check the sore ear only to find blood oozing out of the eardrum! Apparently her eardrum had already ruptured! We just felt sick... we didn't have a clue that it was this bad! Most kids would be screaming bloody murder!
Our little Megan, she is one tough cookie.

6 comments:

Marla said...

HOLY COW!! She is tough! She needs to teach my kids a thing or two.

Heather said...

Oh Megan--we all hope you are feeling better soon. What a sweetie. None of my kids are like that--wow, do they milk and illness.

Aprilyn said...

OUCH! I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor Megan. She is such a trooper. I hope her ear gets better soon. I love to see pictures of her. She is always smiling! She was such a quiet little one when you lived here. She certainly has grown, although she still seems to be content to be the quiet one.

jannica and eric said...

Oh so sad! Skyelie was that way too! I never knew she had an ear ache until she had a fever that would not go away, and I would take her to the doctor. It's good they are so tough, but it breaks your heart!

Angela said...

Wow! She is REALLY tough! How sad though. That's so nice that you could have Trevor look at it though, I guess that's one benefit to having a husband who's a doctor! Hope she gets feeling better!

Jenny M said...

Poor Megan! I hate seeing my kids be sick. Your kids are so lucky to have a nurse and doctor for a Mommy and a Daddy.

Kathryn, I love your blog. Tiffany gave it to me today. I am so glad I can now keep updated on your cute cute family!

Love,
Jenny