Friday, March 28, 2008

Construction begins on our new room!

We've been working really hard on our new room... okay mostly Trevor's been working really hard (he calls me Vanna White because I stand there and hand him things) but make no mistake, those huge beams didn't get up there by themselves (my shoulders have the bruises to prove it!)

This has been quite the process and we want to document the progress on our blog so we will have it to look back on (plus I know my fam loves this kind of stuff- hi fam!).

Anyway, this idea to build a room over our garage started months ago because we only
have 3 bedrooms and a large garage with a big empty attic.

First thing we cut a hole in our wall (where the door will go to the new room) big enough to crawl through but small enough to patch if we decided it was not worth it. Once we did all of the measuring we fount that in order to make it tall enough we had to build the floor lower than the attic was so the next step was to tear out all of the drywall (I know- crazy!) in the garage and start building our floor with 24 ft long I-beams.
This is a picture looking up from the garage after we took out the dry wall.


Here we are now, we have half of the floor in and it is getting exciting since getting the floor in has been quite the challenge! We still have a lot to do so we will keep posting updates but we hope to be finished by this fall and then we will need some volunteers to come try out our new guest bedroom. Any volunteers?

8 comments:

Noelle said...

I can relate. When I was a kid we built our house. It was a log house. I spent many (many, many) hours hoisting 6x6 logs and nailing them together with 10 or 12 inch spikes. It was a lot of work, but I feel I am a better person for it. Hope you have lots of fun with your project!

Scott Law said...

What an awesome project. After having just done the kitchen I can really relate. I know it will turn out perfect and look forward to seeing lots of photos as it goes. I have looked back at the photos I did of the kitchen as it progressed many times already. Make sure you also take photos of the structural elements so you can refer back to them when you are hanging curtains, decor, etc. Good luck.

Aprilyn said...

That will be so great when it's done! What a lot of work though. You guys are doing great!!

Melissa said...

I would LOVE to break in the new room for you this fall! It's just the kind of person that I am!!
Way to go! I am VERY impressed!

Jen said...

I am so impressed with the knowledge you have and are probably gaining as you go through this process. I'll look foward to seeing the finished product when you're finished.

adrienne said...

I am so impressed with you guys! I wish we could add a fourth room to our house. Three rooms is just a little bit to small. We've talked about splitting one of the rooms into two because it's pretty big and that's scary enough to me! I'm sure it will turn out great. Keep us posted, I love seeing house makeover and decorating stuff! :)

Jeffrey and Monica said...

My kids would love to try it out! They would be more than willing to spend the night. Not what you had in mind? :)

Andrea G. said...

I am soooo impressed. that is really exciting and I am jealous of all your construction know how!! You'll have to invite us over to show it off when it's completed!!