
Campbell was about 2 weeks old when we knew something was really wrong. He was so fussy and appeared to be in pain a lot. He would grunt and groan and cry most the day and night. Then one day I was changing a dirty diaper and noticed blood. That's when we realized he had a dairy protein allergy and I (I was nursing him) had to go off of ALL dairy. If I so much as ate one chocolate chip Campbell would get sick. It was hard and I never believed I could do it but I nursed him dairy-free for 8 months.
Sometimes kids outgrow this allergy but every time we tried to give him a little dairy (we only tried 1-2 times because it hurt him so much) he would have a reaction. Well, I gave Cam some cheese a few days ago and nothing happened, I tried again the next day and still nothing... dare I hope?!? It's been 5 days with a little bit of dairy everyday and still no reaction!!!!!! I'm so happy. No more soy milk and dairy-free butter (yes, there is such a thing). No more making a separate dinner for Campbell every night. No more reading the hundreds of labels on food to make sure they are safe for him. And best of all Campbell finally gets to enjoy cheese, milk, chocolate, ice cream, yogurt etc.
Oh Happy Day!!!!
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Oh HAPPY Day!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Yeah!!!! I am so excited for you! (As only another dairy-free mother could be!) ;) I was just talking to Andrea today about how Cam still couldn't eat dairy, so I'm glad to hear that it looks like he has gotten over his allergy. Oh, happy day indeed!!
Great news. As much as I like ice cream, I don't think it is worth pain.
Kathryn I am so happy for YOU - as much as for Cam. That is great, great news!
YAY!!! That must be such a relief! We wondered if Mason had the same problem when he was born, bc he would grunt, fuss, have gas, and just acted like he was in pain all time. Jeremy is lactose-intolerant, so we didn't know if there was a connection with that. I was dairy-free for about 4 months, and didn't know how long I could keep it up!!! I slowly started reintroducing dairy, and there hasn't seemed to be a problem for the last three months, and he is just being treated for acid reflux. I had no idea how hard it could be to just not really eat anything good, but 8 months is so long....good for you though, to make a sacrifice so that Campbell could have the benefits of being a breast fed baby! Sounds like dinner will be a lot easier around your household now!!!
That's great news!!! I'm glad he has outgrown that allergy, that would be a tough one to live w/. Snapps for you nursing him dairy free for that long! Your a good mom!
It's a miracle...I don't know how you, Adrienne, Andrea and Amy did it. I love milk so much...hope you enjoy a whole bunch of ice cream this week :)
I hope he keeps tolerating milk! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
YAY! What a blessing for you all! I am so happy!
Post a Comment