Friday, January 2, 2009

I finally said YES

Trevor is spontaneous... I am not.


I used to be, before the kids and the house and the dogs and callings and everything else a responsible adult has to think about.
Trevor is often coming up with "fun" ideas like: "Let's go camping tonight!" or "Let's drive down to Florida this weekend!" or "Let's buy a new car!" My responses generally sound something like this: " No" or " I don't think so" or "No thank you" or " We don't have the money for that" or sometimes I just laugh.
Like I said, I'm the non-spontaneous responsible adult around here.
Well, a few weeks ago Trevor was trying to convince me to go to Florida for the holidays and I was giving him the laundry list of reasons that wouldn't be possible and so he hit me with, "Let's go to Utah then". The craziest thing happened, I paused for a second and then said, "Okay." You should have seen the look on Trevor's face. He was dumbfounded.

Next thing I knew (literally minutes later... I think he was afraid I would change my mind so he was quick) Trevor was cleaning out the truck and loading up our Christmas gifts (including all the gifts that our family paid $ and stood in long lines to send to us from Utah, sorry family) then we were on the road.
The drive there was LONG but the adrenaline was high and we were so excited to surprise everyone.

We arrived at my parents house 30hrs later and just 2 days before Christmas. They were shocked!

We had a great time surprising all our family over the next few days. It was a Christmas I will never forget.

Seeing my sister's new baby Avery was a big draw to Utah. She is a doll and Melissa is a great mom.
Yummy lunch at Melissa and Jeff's new LEGERS deli (on Redwood). Love this pic of Trev enjoying his favorite sandwich "the kitchen sink".


Christmas morning.
Exhausted from all the festivities.
Grandma Law teaching Hallie how to use her new sewing machine.

Eight days later it was time to load up the car again and head back to Kentucky. The drive was never-ending and at one point Trevor turned to me and said, "Next time I come up with an idea like this will you please say NO".

Despite the long drive that we hope we will never have to make again (Trevor is considering living here forever in order to avoid it) it was such a wonderful Christmas and although I will probably say "No way!" to Trevor's next crazy idea, I'm so glad I said "okay" to this crazy idea.

7 comments:

jamie said...

you guys are BRAVE!!! I spent the better part of my pregnancy convinced I was going to be driving home to colorado for the holidays and then chickened out. We almost made that drive along with you!! I'm impressed you did it. Even though the drive back wasn't less than ideal, you did it and you'll never regret it!! Way to seize the moment.

Scott Law said...

We're so glad you said yes. You definately made our Christmas much more special. Thanks for coming, and we're glad you made it home safe and at least partially sound.

Love,
Dad

lacey said...

I just want you to know we heard you left. Ryan and I were like- oh my goodness! We thought several times... I wonder where they are? And will they make it by Christmas? I'm glad you did! And I can only imagine how unforgettable the ENTIRE event was. I wish we had the courage or mindset or intiative to just have DONE IT ourselves. But I can never muster it.... glad to hear you are back safe!

Tiffany said...

Awwww! I bet your families were beyond happy to see you :) I was regretting driving the 1 hour to Logan to see my mom half way through, I hate driving so much...You, my friend, are awesome!

Richard and Carlie said...

How fun!!! Oh my goodness, you are a trooper to make that drive, and with a brand new baby! I bet it was all worth it though! Glad you guys had a great time!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic story! I love it. We are only sorry we weren't able to see this new addition of yours but know time is way too limited at this time. Merry Christmas.

Holly said...

You are one BRAVE woman. And I can't believe you kept it a secret. You are AMAZING. We did the Christmas drive with the kids--5 or 6 of them from Louisville to Utah ONCE, and I swore I would never do it again. We didnt even make it down from Boise this year--the snow was never ending. . .