Sunday, February 10, 2008

Going Private

I'm thinking about making my blog private. I'm not sure yet...

12 comments:

Vicki said...

Did you decide this because I started making comments on your blog? ha, ha! I've been wondering if we should go private as well. I have been using my stat counter and nothing weird yet. . .

Amateur Steph said...

Just curious, but why? I sometimes think about how scary the world out there is, but I still want people I know to visit my blog, so I'm not sure about going private, and what it entails. BTW your new background and header are way cute.

Melissa said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new template! I will call you this week and we can talk!
I miss you guys! I'm thinking it is time for me to make another visit:)

Aprilyn said...

I like the new color and header too. I've been thinking about going private too. I worry because I think I share too much about my kids on here.

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

I don't have a specific reason, although it did freak me out a little when I googled my name and found all of these comments I made and links to my blog from other blogs that are "open". Mainly I just keep having the thought that I should make it private. I don't know if that is inspiration or just me being a worrier but I'm thinking maybe I should stop ignoring it.

Brett said...

Hmm. Thanks for pointing that out. I never used show up on google. Now our blog is the number 3 result, even though I have "block search engines" clicked on. Plus all my comments on other sites show up on some search engine called "technorati" which lands a spot on google! I may be joining you in private land.

Heather said...

I've wondered the same. I didn't want too cause I have sort of technically challenged famiy, but most of them don't check it anyway. reed wanted me to go private when i started!

Brett said...

I think I found the problem. *Maybe* You don't want your last name to show up anywhere, not in the blogger profile, not in links on friends' pages. This way a search of your full name will not succeed. Right now search engines are crawling friend's pages and connecting first and last names with URLs. This is my theory anyway. I'm giving it a try and will let you know.

em said...

I think it's probably a safe idea. Mine is private,and I've had it that way from day one just because I tell a lot of info., and know how easy it is to "blog stalk!" ha ha I've found SO many people that I haven't seen for years, and if I was a creepo I would know when people are planning on traveling, where they live,what school their kids go to, where they go during the week (dates & times) & even what hours their husbands work. I'm always extra careful bc when my sis was 15 she went back to Tahiti (my fam lived there for 3 yrs) and a nice 35 yr old guy helped her at the airport with all of her luggage and ended up getting her name, address and ph # off her bags and began stalking her. We had to change our numbers, and file a police report bc of it all, so I have just tried not to ever have my private info. out there for people to see! (Sorry this was WAY too long!)

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Kathryn,
post a request that anyone linked to your blog not use your last name.
i don't use my last name, mention the name of my kids school, the street our phone # etc...
all of my links are just their first name and inital if there is more than one person with that first name...

Melissa said...

Hey, I searched google for mine and... no sign of it! So at least until you decide what to do take you last name off of everything:)

Jerry Grubbs said...

Kathryn, if you want Todd to take you off the Planet Grubbs blog sweep just let me know. He can set it so Planet Grubbs doesn't go to your blog for new items.

Love Jerry