Monday, June 29, 2009

Fear

Oh my goodness sakes, am I the only one who is freaking out about our government right now? I have seriously stressed about some of the choices they are making (like losing sleep stressed). I worry about our future and our children's future and I sometimes find myself overwhelmed with it all.
Last night I was watching BYU TV and heard the following quote by Elder Jeffrey Holland. I LOVE this and need to apply to all aspects of my life because I do tend to be a bit of a "worry wart".
Anyway, I thought I'd share and maybe it will help you too.

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27

Referring to this scripture Elder Holland said:
“I submit to you that this may be one of the Saviors commandments that is, even in the hearts of otherwise faithful Latter-day Saints, almost universally disobeyed…. I am convinced that none of us can appreciate how deeply it wounds the loving heart of the Savior of the world when he finds that his people do not feel confident in his care or secure in his hands or trust in his commandments.”

I've never thought of that verse as a commandment and I certainly never thought that being fearful would "wound the loving heart of the Savior".
Anyway, something for me to work on.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I used to feel the exact same way. And I will tell you that things have really changed for me now. Its a completely different feeling to have that kind of confidence in the Savior. I think it has alot to do with church actually. When you have teacher who doom and gloom you all the time you tend to focus on that. When your teachers are uplifting and finding joy in the blessings it changes your whole perspective.

That is a great quote. And I love how blatent he is about saying it is universally disobeyed. And now I have written a book on your blog! LOL Sorry about that. It stuck home I guess.

Holly said...

Thank you, thank you. I needed that today. Once again, my mind is spiraling OUT OF CONTROL about the future of this country and about how little I feel I can do about it. Thank you for reminding me of that quote, and that we are people of faith and not fear. So, I will put my worries in my worry box and go forward in faith that He will make everything right after all that I can do!

Noelle said...

An excellent post, and an important reminder (for me at least), to remember the Savior, and trust Him. Thanks.

Aprilyn said...

Brian writes a political blog. We worry about the path our government is taking. We can not sit by and watch our freedom be taken from us. It is hard to know how involved we should be. I just remember reading about Captain Moroni in The Book of Mormon. We need to protect our freedom so we will be able to worship as we see fit.

Vaughn Mathis said...

Thanks Kathryn,

That was a great post!