Thursday, June 4, 2009

thoughts on motherhood


I shared in a few posts back the feelings of inadequacy and humility I sometimes experience as a mother. As I have prayed answers have come.

Today I read this and it brought me comfort.
"You are doing God's work. You are doing it wonderfully well.
He is blessing you, even- no, especially- when your days and your nights may be
the most challenging. Like the woman who anonymously, meekly, perhaps even
with hesitation and some embarrassment, fought her way through the crowd just to
touch the hem of the Master's garment, so Christ will say to the women who worry
and wonder and weep over their responsibility as mothers, 'Daughter, be of good
comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole.' And it will make your children
whole as well."
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

I think I am often prideful in thinking that I should be able to do this on my own... I should have all the answers... after all, they are my children.

Sometimes I think we can be so hard on ourselves and even on each other and because we set this perfect standard we might feel some " hesitation and some embarrassment" asking for help but I love how the woman "fought her way through the crowd" to get to the Saviour. She was determined, she had faith, and the most amazing part to me is that the Lord felt she was worth saving. When she wasn't enough on her own she went to Him and He made her whole.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Thank you for your inspiring thoughts. I remember when I had the three youngest girls, I was really struggling. It was conference weekend, and I had the radio on listening as I was doing "mom stuff". Elder Holland began to speak, and it was a talk to Young Mothers. I stopped what I was doing, sat down (which of course meant all of my girls sat down on top of me!), and listened to his talk and just BAWLED the whole time. Not only did it feel good to hear words of encouragement, but most of all it felt good to know that someone cared--that God was aware of me! I have loved Elder Holland for being that messenger of love and comfort from that moment on. :)

Rebekah said...

Thank you.

Tiffany said...

This is one of your very best posts. You said it perfectly :)