I didn’t have any new years resolutions this year like I normally do (not because I couldn’t think of anything I needed to improve on, but because there were just too many things for my list) then I read a friends blog and I was inspired by it and decided to do like she did and choose a word to focus on for the new year. I’ve been thinking about my word a lot ever since I read her post and her beautiful thoughts.
So many words have come to my mind but none were exactly what I wanted to focus on and then today it came to me.
“Embrace”
I’m constantly learning about myself and one thing I’ve recently recognized is that I’m often disappointed with who I am. I feel like I should be a better wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, missionary etc. especially with the knowledge I have of the eternal importance of these things. Too often I compare myself with others, their talents, abilities, etc and feel that I come up short. Why do I do this? I get frustrated with myself because I feel that I have been so very blessed and I often just sit at home hording all my blessings and feeling ungrateful because I’m not good enough.
I know that it is good to have desires to be better but for me all of these desires sometimes just turn into anxiety and a feeling of panic because I can’t do it all.
And so for me, this word is perfect as I strive to embrace who I am with my talents, my weaknesses, my desires and my blessings and not wish for someone else’s or apologize for my own.
*Embrace the fact that I am not perfect and some of my flaws make me…me.
*Embrace my desire to be good and do right and remember that the Lord knows that about me and sometimes that is good enough.
*Embrace my husband and children; embrace them physically- because I don’t give enough hugs- and embrace who they are and their uniqueness.
*Embrace my dreams and desires and move towards them without fear of failure.
*Embrace my individuality and not look for others approval but find my self-confidence grounded in the love of my Father in Heaven.
*Embrace the plan he has for me.
*Embrace the life I have, the lessons I’m learning, the joy I feel, the challenges I face, the person I am now.
Most of all this year, and hopefully for the rest of my life, I hope that I can stop trying to do everything on my own and embrace the help the Lord so generously offers me. I know that He is there with outstretched arms, waiting for me to take those steps toward Him so that He can wrap those loving arms around me.
That’s the embrace I am ultimately seeking…
Monday, January 28, 2008
I found my word
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Thanks Kathryn. That was beautiful. It is funny how we always see ourselves as so flawed and others as so "together". I think you are so amazing already. You are going to be an incredible force to be reconned(sp?) with as you embrace yourself! Go girl!
Loved your blog. It rang so true to me that I am tempted to just cut and paste it to my blog...except we have so many of the same readers...Thanks for sharing! I needed it!
(Kristine)
What a great idea to focus on ONE word! You are an inspiration to so many Kathryn!!! Thanks for your thoughts! All I can say is DITTO!
Kathryn, can I use your word too. It comforts me that my friends feel the same way I do. The more I learn about you the more I'm so impressed. . .and glad I'm getting to know you. Thanks for sharing.
Love your word! It is perfect--although I do ditto Holly and others--you really do seem to have it together. And seriously--thanks for the beautiful compliment. Isn't that what it is about to have awesome women to associate with--I love to learn from you and so many others!
Post a Comment